Visiting Assistant Professor
- Member of Undergraduate Steering Committee of Department of Communication
- B. A. (History) Victoria University of Wellington
- C.O.P. (Chinese language) Beijing Languages Institute北京语言学院
- C.O.P. (History) Beijing University北京大学.
- Dip. TESL Victoria University of Wellington
- BA Hons (Linguistics) Victoria University of Wellington
- PhD (Sociolinguistics) Victoria University of Wellington
- Schirato, T. with Roberts, M. (2018). Bourdieu: A critical introduction. Sydney, Australia: Allen & Unwin
- Roberts, M. L. Generic Critical Thinking Workshops. In Developing Generic Support for Doctoral Students: Practice and Pedagogy. Carter, Susan and Deborah Laurs eds. London and New York: Routledge. (2014). 44 – 46.
- Roberts, M.L. ESOL-Literacy: Teaching Learners with Language and Literacy Needs. In Facing the Challenge: Foundation Learning for Adults in Aotearoa New Zealand. Benseman J. and A. Sutton eds. Wellington: Dunmore Publishing Ltd. (2008). 143 – 154.
- Roberts, M.L. Immigrants’ Attitudes to Language Maintenance in NZ. In Languages of New Zealand. Bell, Allan, Ray Harlow and Donna Starks eds. Wellington: Victoria University Press. (2005). 248 – 270.
- Holmes, J. Roberts, M. Verivaki, M, ‘Aipolo, ‘A. Language Maintenance and Shift in Three New Zealand Speech Communities. In A Reader in Greek Sociolinguistics; Studies in Modern Greek Language, Culture and Communication. Georgakopoulou, Alexandra and Marianna Spanaki eds. Oxford: Peter Lang. (2001). 41 – 71.
- Roberts, M.L. Immigrants and Language in New Zealand. In New Zealand and International Migration: A Digest and Bibliography Number 3. Trlin, Andrew and Paul Spoonley eds. Palmerston North and Albany, Department of Sociology, Massey University. (1997). 75 – 92.
Refereed Journal Articles
- Roberts, M.L. and Reid, K. ‘Using Bourdieu to develop a reflexive understanding of the learning advice consultation’. Journal of Academic Language and Learning (Aust) 8/1 pp A70 – A82 .(2014).
- Roberts, M.L. The effects of immigration flow on patterns of language maintenance and shift in two immigrant communities in New Zealand. New Zealand Sociology, Vol. 16, Number 1: 55 – 78. (2001).
- Holmes, J., Roberts, M., Verivaki, M, ‘Aipolo, ‘A. Language maintenance and shift in three New Zealand speech communities. Applied Linguistics, Vol. 14, No. 1: 1 – 24. (1993).
Selected Institutional Research and Advisory Work
- 2013, working with the Associate Dean Teaching and Learning, School of Management (Victoria University of Wellington) to develop inclusive teaching and learning practices in first year papers.
- 2013, worked with the University to develop inclusive teaching and learning training for co-ordinators of large first year papers.
- 2012, researched and wrote web pages on inclusive learning and teaching for Centre for Academic Development at Victoria University of Wellington.
- 2010 – 2011, researched and wrote report for Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academic), Victoria University of Wellington on Key Issues in Supporting Refugee Background Students to Achieve their Goals at Victoria
- 2010, researched and wrote report for Teaching and Learning Strategy Committee on An Undergraduate Research Skills Development Framework at VUW (2010).
- 2006-2007, chaired the New Zealand Qualifications Authority Sector Standing Advisory Network for the Adult Literacy Sector.
- 2001, member of an advisory group to the Ministry of Education on the issue of Pacific Islands (Pasifika) Bilingual Education.
- COMB110 Interpersonal Communication
- FSSG801 Academic Culture and Scholarship
- GESB011 Public Speaking
Faculty of Social Sciences (FSS)
University of Macau
Avenida da Universidade, Taipa, Macao
Humanities & Social Sciences Building (E21B), 2050
Fax: (853) 8822 2338