Angela Wen-Yu, CHANG 張 文 瑜
- Member of MA Steering Committee of the Department of Communication
- Coordinator, Teaching and Learning Enhancement Center, UM (2014-2015)
- UM Academic Council Committee, FSS
- External Researcher, Institute of Communication and Health, Lugano University, Switzerland (http://www.ich.com.usi.ch/en/index.htm)
- Ph.D., Communications and Advertising, Union Institute and University, Ohio, USA
- M.A., Communication Arts, New York Institute of Technology, New York, USA.
- B.A., Advertising, Chinese Culture University, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Public Health, Cross-cultural consumer studies, Advertising Strategy, Media Use, Eye-tracking & Communication Effects
- 2016-2018 Schulz, P., & Chang, A. (guest editors). Special Issue of Chinese Journal of Communication: The Fight Against Non-communicable Diseases: Implications and Challenges for Health Communication. (SSCI journal).
- Chang, A. & Hu J. Y. (accepted). 香港新聞中「肥胖」流行病詞彙和語言的自動化機 器計算分析(Automated Machine Computational Analysis of the Vocabulary and Language of the “Obese” Epidemic in Hong Kong News ). Proceedings of Business Journalism and Corporate Communication Education and Development in Hong Kong, Mainland, Macau and Taiwan (2018 兩岸四地財經新聞及企業傳播教育發展研討會會 議論文集), Heng-Seng Management University Press, Hong Kong, HK.
- Chang, A., Hu J.Y., Liu Y. Ch., & Liu M. (2019). Data Mining Approach to Chinese Food Analysis for Diet-Related Cardiometabolic Diseases. 2019 IEEE 35th International Conference on Data Engineering Workshops (ICDEW), IEEE Xplore digital library, 91-95. doi: 10.1109/ICDEW.2019.00-29.
- Chang, A. (2019). The impact of television advertising on food preferences and consumption among Chinese children. China Media Research, 15(1), 77-84. (Refereed and peer review journal)
- Chang, A. (2018). Digitalized news on non-communicable diseases coverage- What are the unhealthy features of media content induced for Chinese? 10th Social Informatics conference proceedings (SocInfo18). In Staab, S., Koltsova, O., & Ignatov, D. I. (Eds.), Social Informatics: Lecture Note Series in Computer Science 11186 (pp. 29-39). Switzerland: Springer Nature. (Scopus®).
- Chang, A. & Schulz, P. J. (2018). The measurements and an elaborated understanding of Chinese eHealth literacy (C-eHEALS) in chronic patients in China. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (IJERPH), 15(7). doi:10.3390/ijerph15071553. (SSCI/Scopus®, Impact factor=2.468, 5-year impact factor =2.948).
- Chang, A. & Liu, M. (2018). What to say to patrons about buying tickets again? Modelling a modern relationship. Journal of Creative Communications, 13(3), 1-18 doi: 10.1177/0973258618792789 (SSCI/ Scopus®, Impact factor =0.194).
- Chang, A., Schulz, P. J., Schirato, T., & Hall, B. J. (2018). Implicit Messages Regarding Unhealthy Foodstuffs in Chinese Television Advertisements: Increasing the Risk of Obesity. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 15, 70. doi:10.3390/ijerph15010070 (Scopus, Impact factor=2.101, 5-year impact factor =2.540).
- Liu, M. T. C, Wong, I. K. A., Tseng, T. H., Chang, A. W. Y. & Phau, I. (2017). Applying consumer-based brand equity in luxury hotel branding. Journal of Business Research 81, 192-202 (SSCI, impact factor=3.354; 5-year impact factor=4.108).
- Chang, A. (2015). No fear but happiness: Understanding emotional expression by examining online emotional lexicons and icons from encoding and decoding perspectives. Global Media Worlds and China, 154-169. ICUC International Series, Communication University of China Press, Beijing, China.
- Chang, A. (2014). Fans of Folklore Performance: Identifying a New Relationship in Communication and Marketing. In Zwaan, K., Reijnders, S., and Duits, L. (Eds), “The Ashgate Research Companion to Fan Cultures.” pp.121-134. UK: Ashgate Publication.
- Chang, A. (2014). “Customer Responses to Arts Festivals: The Effects of Relationship Marketing on Cultural Activities.” In R. G. Ozturk (Ed.), “Handbook of research on the impact of culture and society on the entertainment industry.” pp. 350-370. Hershey, PA: IGI Global Publishing.
- Chang, A. (2014). Advertising and Childhood Obesity in China. In C. Okigbo (Ed.), Strategic Urban Health Communication, pp.211-219. New York: Springer.
- Chang, A. (2014). “What the audiences of performing arts find most important: An examination of the attitudinal and relational marketing strategies” Budapest Management Review 44 (2), 33-39.
- Chang, A. (2013). “Promoting foods to overweight people? – An assessment of the advertising and availability of unhealthy food in China. The International Journal of Communication and Health, 2, 49-57.
- Chang, A. (2011, June). Understanding Macau Consumers’ Decision Process and Choice for Purchasing Tangible Products. Selected Proceedings of Innovation, Challenges, and Social Participation in Changing Media Ecology Symposium, pp.525-539. Taipei, Taiwan: Fu-Jen Catholic University (媒介生態變遷衝擊下的創新、挑戰與社會參與論文選集).
- Tang, D. L & Chang, W. Y. (2007, December). “Exploring eye-tracking methodology in communication study.”Chinese Journal of Communication Research, 12, 165-211. Taipei, Taiwan. (Taiwan SSCI Journal, ISSN:1726-3581) (In Chinese).
- Chang, W. Y. (2007, March). “Portraying consumers in Macau by studying their social value in purchasing cell phone.” The Journal of Advertising, 12, 91-108. Taipei, Taiwan. (Academic Journal, ISSN:1817-6763) (In Chinese).
- Chang, A. (2005, September). “Advertising education and research in the 21st century.” Modern Advertising, 115, 112-120. Beijing, China (Invited Publication, in Chinese)
- Chang, A.(2005). Interdisciplinary study of communication discipline: Why and how to visualize the questionnaire data. The Journal of Advertising, Vol. 10, pp. 57-70.
External Technical Report (Government and Non Government Organizations)
- Chang, A. (2011, April). Audiences Behavior and Satisfaction Questionnaire Survey for 2011 Taiwan’s Traditional Arts Festival. Ming-Hua-Yuan (明華園) Culture and Art Group. Ming-Hwa-Yuan, Taipei, Taiwan (in Chinese) pp.17.
- Chang, A. & Chen, Y. L. (2009). Attitude and Behavior Survey on Audiences of Performing Arts Organization (Project 1 & 2). Ming-Hwa-Yuan, Taipei, Taiwan (in Chinese).
- Cheong, W. H., Li, X. Q., and Chang, A. (2008). Macao Outdoor Advertising Research Report for Macau Government IACM.
Conferences Papers and Presentations
- Chang, A., Hu J.Y., Liu Y. Ch., & Liu M. T. C. (2019 April conference paper). Data Mining Approach to Chinese Food Analysis for Diet-Related Cardiometabolic Diseases. Proceedings of 35th IEEE international conference on data engineering.
- Chang, A. & Liu, M. (2017, Nov 3-4). An assessment of engagement and purchase intentions of Facebook advertising among Macau consumers. 2017 Korea Advertising Society (KAS) Global Conference, Gangneung, South Korea.
- Chang, A. (2017, September 28-29). What Matters Most in Satisfying Theater Audiences? Understanding Preferences and Involvement as a Predictor of Future purchase Intent. Audiences2030: Imagining a future for audiences. Universidade Católica Portuguesa, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Chang, A. & Hu, S. (2017, June 24-28). The Influence of Nondigital Advertising Media Adoption on Experiences and Engagement among Arts Audiences in Taiwan. AIMAC 2017 Conference, Beijing University, Beijing, China.
- Chang, A. & Lin, S. (2017, June 22-23). Examining Familial Communication and Risk of Childhood Obesity within Cross-Cultural Contexts. CAFIC Ningbo Nottingham University, Ningbo China.
- Chang, A. (2017, June 1-2). Causes and Consequences of Obesity Covered by Newspaper in Mainland China. International Symposium: Chinese newspapers and the Challenge of Convergence. Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong, China, SAR.
- Chang, A. (2017, March 2). Children’s Food Choice and Taste Preferences: the Mediating Role of Parenting Style in Chinese Culture. Research seminar of communication department, University of Macau, China, SAR.
- Chang, A. (2016, Sept. 16-19). School characteristics as correlates of childhood obesity prevention. The 48th Asia-Pacific Academic Consortium for Public Health (APACPH) Annual Conference: Create a Healthy Future with Competent Professionals. Teikyo University, Tokyo, Japan.
- Wu, Y. C., Lu, H. Y., Kuo, T. Y. & Chang, A. (2016, July 4-7). Communicating risk and uncertainty of food safety: An analysis of two ‘gutter oil’ scandals in Taiwan. The 14th Interdisciplinary Conference Communication, Medicine & Ethics (COMET). Aalborg University, Denmark.
- Chang, A. & Schulz, P. J. (2016, July 4-7). The Impact of Media Vehicle Choice on Health Literacy: A Comparison of Late Adolescence Chinese Students. The 14th Interdisciplinary Conference Communicati2on, Medicine & Ethics (COMET). Aalborg University, Denmark.
- Liu, M. T. C, Tseng, T., Perez, A.,. Chang, A. (2016, May 24-27), The impact of customer-based brand equity on purchase intention: The mediating role of brand attitude in hotel industry, European Marketing Academy Annual Conference, May 24-27, 2016, BI Norwegian Business School, Oslo, Norway.
- Liu, M., Wong, A., Tseng, T., & Chang, A. (2016 May 12-13), Applying CBBE in luxury hotel branding: An empirical study, The Mystique of Luxury Brands- Shanghai Conference 2016, The Majesty Plaza, Shanghai, China.
- Chang, A. & Liu, M. T. C. (2016, April 22-23). E-Health Literacy: A Critical Role for Online Media Communication in China. 2016 Korean Association for Broadcasting & telecommunication Studies (KABS) Annual Conference: Media Requiem- Revisiting Media and/for Democracy. Chonbuk National University, Jeonju, South Korea).
- Chang, A. (2016, Jan. 15-17). Health Information Seeking Behaviors of College Students in Macao. Hong Kong Society of Behavioral Health (BeHealth, 2016). Prince of Wales Hospital, Hong Kong.
- Wu, M., Chang, A. & Lin, P. (2015, Nov. 28-29). Health Literacy: Fantasy analysis of “Yang Sheng” advertorials in Wechat (健康素養的深層分析：微信“養生軟文”幻想主題研究) (in Chinese). The 10th China Health Communication convention International Center for Communication, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China (top paper award).
- Chang, A. & Wu, M. (2015, Nov. 28-29). What to blame for Celebrity Suicide? Exploring the Gratifications of Online Postings and Agenda Setting of Online News (誰讓名人自殺? 網民發聲與網路新聞議題設定之探索研究)(in Chinese). The 10th China Health Communication convention International Center for Communication, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China (Preferably Work Award).
- Chang, A. & Liu M. T. C. & Schulz, P. (2015, July 19-24). Systematic Review of Obesogenic Environmental Determinants of Diet and the Implications of Obesity Prevention and Intervention Efforts. The Fourth International Conference on Global Health Challenges, Nice, France. file:///C:/Users/wychang/ Downloads/ global_health_ 2015_2_20_70103%20(1). pdf ISBN: 978-1-61208-424-4
- Chang, A. & Zhao H. Y. (2015, June 25-27). Examining the Association of Media Consumption and Health Literacy among College Students. The 13th International Conference on Communication, Medicine, and Ethics (COMET), University of Hong Kong, HK.
- Chang, A. (2014, June 26-28). “Finding health? A critical synthesis of research on television food advertising and the effects on children.”
Paper present in the Twelfth International Conference on Communication, Medicine and Ethics (COMET) 2014, Lugano University.
- Chang, A. (2013, Nov. 18). “Evidence on the extent of food advertising and product as a result of unhealthy environment: A critical synthesis of research.”
Paper presented in the ICH COHERENT Seminar, Lugano University, Switzerland.
- Chang, A. (2013 Oct., 22-25). “Customer Responses to the Performing Arts: The Effects of Relationship Marketing in a Cultural Activity.”
Paper presented in the International Conference for Academic Disciplines Conference, American University, Italy
- Chang, A. (2013 Aug. 6-8). “Convenience Stores Surrounding Asian Cities: An Examination of Unhealthy Food Accessibilities and Availabilities.”
Paper present in the International Conference on Human Development in Asia: Change, Continuity, and Diversity, Hiroshima, Japan.
- Chang, A. (2013, June 24-27). “Promoting ‘Wrong’ Foods to Fat People? An Assessment of Unhealthy Food Availability and Advertising in China.”
The International Convention of Asian Scholars (ICAS), University of Macau, Macau.
- Chang, A. (2012, June 13-15). “An Assessment of Advertising Education and Research Trend in Greater China Area: What do We Really Need to Know?” Paper present at the ECREA Symposium-Advertising in Communication & Media Research, University of Tuebingen, Germany.
- Chang, A. (2012, Feb 2-4). “Studying Advertising Strategy of Food and Beverages in China, and the Potential Causes of Obesity.” Paper present at the International Advertising & Integrated Marketing Communications Conference (IAIMCC), Anaheim, California.
- Chang, A. (2010, Oct. 28-30). “Examining Advertising Effects of New and Old Media among Theater Audiences.” Paper present in the Asian Conference on Media and Mass Communication 2010: Brave new world. Osaka, Japan.
- Chang, A. (2009, September 18-20). Purchase Intentions as a Function of Culture—Examining the Effects of Visual Information on Young Chinese Consumers”. Paper present in the International Association for Intercultural Communication Studies (IAICS) 15th International Conference on Cross-Cultural Communication: Kumamoto Gakuen University,Japan.
- Chang, A. (2009, August 15-19). “Eye Movements as a Function of Culture—Examining Different Gender of Chinese Information Processing Strategy” Paper present in the International Academy of Intercultural Research (IAIR) conference: Honolulu, USA.
- Chang, A. (2009, July 8-10). “Entertainment Celebrities and Audiences: The Dynamic Process of Hedonic and Sensational Experiences” Paper present in the ANZCA Annual Conference: Communication, Creativity and Global Citizenship. Brisbane, Australia.
- Chang, A. (2008, December 13-14). “Purchase-Related Communication style and Language Accuracy Use–Observing Fresh Market in Macau” Paper present in the 2008 Chinese Communication Forum: Development & Innovation of Chinese Culture & Communication.Guangzhou, China.
- Chang, A. (2008, July 4-5).“Outdoor advertising study from the perspectives of industrial organization and governmental regulations in Macau.” Panel Discussant for the International Conference of Chinese Communication Studies (CCS) Annual conference.Tam-Kang University, Taiwan.
- Chang, A. (2008, June 14-16).“Media use and family communication pattern study in Macau market.” Paper present in the International Conference on Communication and media: Contemporary Roles and Challenges.University Utara Malaysia, Malaysia.
- Chen Y. L., & Chang A. (2008, June14-16).“Analysis the effect of direct and indirect country cultural appeals in ads content: The application of country symbols and value recognition of TV commercials in Taiwan.” Paper present in the International Conference on Communication and media: Contemporary Roles and Challenges.University Utara Malaysia, Malaysia.
- Chang, A. (2008, April 17-18).“Studying the relationship between media use and political participation: A Comparison of Taiwan and Macau.”Paper present in the 8th International Political Science & Information Technology Conference, Fo-Guang University, Taiwan.
- Chang, A. (2007, July 13-16).“Dining across cultures: Interpretations and implications of space and distance of non-verbal communication in Chinese community.” Paper present in the Fifth Conference of Media & Communication in Chinese Civilization, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Chang, A. (2007, June 22-24).“Cross-cultural study of actual market prices and consumer price knowledge in Macau and Taiwan.” Paper present in the International Association for Intercultural Communication Studies Annual Conference: Harmony Diversity and Intercultural Communication, Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin, China.
- Chang, A. (2007, June 20-21).“Comparative analysis of communications, advertising, and marketing studies at higher education institutions in Mainland China and the United States.”Invited speaker at the Conference of China’s Changing Values and Its Impact on Society, Culture and Economy—An East-West perspective, Fudan University, Shanghai, China.
- Chang, A. (2006, Dec., 15-17).“Not online or offline, only one world! Multiple media use among students in Macau and Taiwan.” Paper present at the Conference of Digital Communication and Social Transformation: Chinese Societies and Beyond, Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong.
- Chang, A. (2006, Oct., 13-14).“Exploring consumption value and communication strategy of Chinese.”Paper present at the 14th International Conference of Advertising and Public Relations: Past and Future of Advertising and PR Education. Cheng-Chi University, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Chang, A. (2006, Sept., 15-16).“Media production and consumption for youth market in Macau and Taiwan.” Paper present in the Conference of Internationalising Media Studies: Imperative and Impediments, University of Westminster, London, England.
- Chang, A. (2006, July 12-14).“Media consumption and use among college students in Macau and Taiwan: Media ecology, education and ethics in the digitalized era.” Panel discussant at the Annual Conference of Chinese Communication Studies, Taiwan University, Taiwan.
- Tang, D. L. and Chang, A.(2006, July 12-14).“Exploring communication research by utilizing eye-tracking methodology.” Paper present at the 2006 Annual Conference of Chinese Communication Studies: Media Ecology, Education and Ethics in the Digitalized Era, National Taiwan University, Taiwan.
- Chang, A. (2005, Dec. 28-30).“The current study of placement advertising application and controversy in Taiwan.” Paper present in the Conference of Chinese Communication Studies: Reaching Out and Bringing in, Xiamen University, Fujian, China.
- Chang, A. (2005, Dec. 9-12).“Exploring the cultural value from Taiwan’s advertising slogan for the year 2000 and 2004 political elections.” Paper present at the 4th International Conference on Chinese Sociolinguistics, Guangdong University of Foreign Studies, Guangzhou, China.
- Chang, A. (2005).“Intercultural marriage and lifestyle research: A case study of Taiwan’s foreign bride.” Paper presented at the “Modernization, Globalization and Cross-Cultural Communication,”International Association for Intercultural Communication Studies Annual Conference, Chinese Culture University, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Tang, D. L. and Chang, A. (2005).“Exploring consumers’ purchasing behavior in Taiwan—Applied factorial design methodology in products’ prices and colors preference.”Paper presented at the “Modernization, Globalization and Cross-Cultural Communication,” International Association for Intercultural Communication Studies Annual Conference, Chinese Culture University, Taipei, Taiwan.
Research Grant Projects
- Co-Principal Investigator (2016-2018). An empirical study about how social media marketing affect brand attitude and communication effectiveness, funded by University of Macau (MYRG2016-00050-FBA).
- Principal Investigator (2015-2018). A Longitudinal and Cross-Cultural Study of Health Literacy, Behavior, and Environment, funded by University of Macau (MYRG2015-00123-FSS).
- Principal Investigator (2015-2016). Food Communication and Health Study, funded by University of Macau (MYRG2015-00060-FSS).
- Principal Investigator (2015-2016). The International Study of Childhood Obesity and School Environment, funded by University of Macau (UM Grant: MYRG2015-00129-FSS).
- Co-Principal Investigator (2013-2015). “International Study of Childhood Obesity and the School Environment (ISCOSE)” (external researcher to the Institute of Communication and Health, Lugano University, Switzerland).
- Principal Investigator (2012-2013). “Advertising and Childhood Obesity Study.” (UM Grant: MYRG025(Y1-L1)-FSH12-CWY).
- Principal Investigator (2011 summer). Advertising Appeals and Strategy Study in Vienna. (Sponsored by Eurasia-Pacific Uninet Grant/Scholarship, External project).
- Principal Investigator (2011, spring) Audiences Behavior and Satisfaction Questionnaire Survey for Taiwan’s Traditional Arts Festival. (Sponsored by Ming-Hua-Yuan Culture and Art Group, External project).
- Principal Investigator (2010-2011). “Studying Consumer’s Purchase Intentions & Attitude.” (UM Grant: RG051/09-10S/CWY/FSH)
Principal Investigator (2009). Attitude and Behavior Survey on Audiences of Performing Arts Organization-Phase 2 (Sponsored by Ming-Hua-Yuan Culture and Art Group, External project).
- Principal Investigator (2009). Attitude and Behavior Survey on Audiences of Performing Arts Organization-Phase 1, (Sponsored by Ming-Hua-Yuan Culture and Art Group, External project).
- Principal Investigator (2008-2009). Intercultural Study of Information Processing Strategies by Utilizing Eye-Tracking Methodology. (UM Grant:RG58/07-08S/09R/CWY/FSH).
- Co- Principal Investigator (2008-2009). Macao Outdoor Advertising Research Project. (Macau Government IACM Grant).
- Principal Investigator (2007-2008). “Advertising Appeals & Cultural Value Research: A Comparison of Macau and Taiwan.” (UM Grant: RG025/06-07S/CWY/FSH).
- Principal Investigator (2006). “Measuring Audiences: Linking Effects of Media Use and Personality Traits in Macau and Taiwan.” UM Grant.
- Principal Investigator (2006). “Culture and Consumption in Macau and Taiwan: Integration of Observation, Interview Surveys and Experiments.” UM Grant
- Member, Association for Chinese Communication Studies (ACCS)
- Member, Association of Chinese Professors of Social Science (ACPSS)
- Member, Chinese Communication Studies (CCS)
- Member, International Association of Intercultural Communication Studies (IAICS)
- Ad Hoc Reviewer: Over 8 journals (e.g. Asian Journal of Communication, China Media Research, Chinese Journal of Communication, Health Promotion International, International Journal of Environmental Research & Public Health, Journal of Advertising, Journal of International and Intercultural Communication) and over 10 conferences (e.g., European Communication and Research Education Association (ECREA); International Communication Association (ICA); International Conference on Communication, Medicine and Ethics (COMET)
- 2017 – present Captain, Table tennis, UM Staff Sports Club (UMSSC) http://umssc.umac.mo/committee/
- 2014-2015 Coordinator, Center for Teaching and Learning Enhancement, UM
- 2013-2014 Organizer, 10th International Conference of Media and Environment, UM (2014, May 30-June 1)
- 2012-2013 Committee, Selection Panel of Public Tender for the Outsourced Management Services for Sports Facilities in UM Hengqin Campus.
- 2012 Co-organizer & Panel Chair, China New Media Communication Association Annual Conference, Macao International Conference – Social Media, Digital Network and Globalization＂「2012中國網絡傳播學年會澳門國際會議──全球化下的社交媒體與數字網絡」(2012 December, 6-8)
- 2012 Search Committee, Department of Communication, UM
- 2010 to 2013 Sports Committee Chair of the Working Group, UM
- 2009 to 2014 Ambassador, Healthy and Environmental Protection, UM
- 2006 to present Committee, Principal Recommended Direct Admissions, UM
- 2006 to present Committee, undergraduate program for admission, overseas exchange program, & internship, UM
- 2006 to present Committee, new media and communication graduate program for admission, UM
- 2005 to 2012 Committee, undergraduate curriculum revision
- 2005 to present Committee, graduate curriculum revision
- 2005 to 2007 External Committee, master’s program of Journalism & Communications, (e.g., Chinese Culture University, Taiwan; Fu-Jen Catholic University, Taiwan)
- 2015-current: Affiliated with Residential College SHEAC (renewed contract, 2017 June) (e.g., Inviting guest for event “tea with Master”, participating mentorship program, talent show activities and share dining with students and faculty, etc.).
- Quantitative Methods I (UG)
- Introduction to Advertising (UG)
- Communication Theory (UG)
- Honors Project (UG)
- Planning & Practice in Advertising (UG)
- Communication Theory (UG)
- International and Intercultural Communication (UG)
- Integrated Communication Campaign (UG)
- Public Relations (UG)
- Advertising Principle & Practice (UG)
- Internship (MA)
- COMM708 Special Topics on Advertising (MA)
- COMM797 Applied Thesis (MA)
- COMM791 Thesis (MA)
Faculty of Social Sciences (FSS)
Humanities & Social Sciences Building (E21B), 2056
Phone: (853) 8822 8991